Casting quality and machining quality are critical to give seal plates their strength:
- Melett seal plates undergo post casting processes to strengthen the product;
- Only high quality castings are used to ensure there are no cracks;
- Seal plates are perceived to be a low value item – often casting companies will use re-melt and poor casting material because the product is not seen to be a major component or the casting requirements are not very high;
- In reality, the seal plate casting has to be reliable to prevent cracking in service, due to the harsh environment in the engine bay such as high temperatures and vibrations, which can lead to cracks or failure;
- At Melett, we do not use re-melt in our seal plate production.